Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
 Pregnancy Ticker

Sunday, October 23, 2011

34 Weeks

Instead of doing the Pregnancy Highlights that I have been doing I thought it would be easier to just tell you about this past week....(warning: this is very long and may be TMI)

On Wednesday I started feeling a lot of cramping in my lower abdominal area. I didn't think too much of it because I had read so many different books, websites, etc that said cramping was common. I sent Will a text just telling him I was feeling some pain but I didn't think it was really anything. He wanted me to call the doctor that minute but I told him I was fine and would see how the night would go. Thursday morning I woke up with swollen feet and hands. I still didn't think it was anything to worry about. When I got to work I was having the bad cramps and terrible pain in my lower back. That's when I started to think something was happening. Especially since the back pain was happening at the same time as the cramping. I also noticed my stomach was starting to tighten and I wasn't feeling Annie Knox move as much as she had been moving. I called the doctor at 10:00 and they told me to come in at 3:15 just to check and make sure everything was ok. They said it could be the beginning of a UTI or just my ligaments were getting sore.

Will met me at the doctor and they took me straight back. They did the regular check up and everything was normal. My blood pressure was 105/65 which looks great but I had never been over 100 so I was kind of wondering about that. I met with Dr. Price and they checked me and said my cervix was thin. They wanted to hook me up to the monitor for two 20 minute sessions to see if they were real contractions. After the first 20 minutes he came back to check and said "Well, I've seen enough. We are going to go ahead and send you to the hospital." We didn't know what was happening. Finally Will asked what that means....are we having the baby, are we stopping the contractions, what? Dr. Price said they would try to stop the contractions but if they couldn't, babies born between 34-37 weeks can be just as healthy as full term babies. He said for us to go home, pack our bags and head to the hospital.

I am a planner and can I just say this threw me for a loop. We were running around trying to get bags packed etc. We were up and checked in the hospital by 6:00. They got me hooked up to the monitors so we could see Annie Knox's heartbeat and my contractions. The contractions were every 2-3 minutes apart and strong. I was in preterm labor. They gave me a shot to stop the contractions but they just slowed down some. It felt just like a constant contraction for about 2 hours. The nurse came in and gave me another shot for pain and nausea. She warned us it would make me tired and loopy but I was willing to take anything for the pain. Dr. Chasedunn came in to check me and nothing had changed since the doctor's office which was good! They had me stay for a while longer to get the contractions to slow some more and then they released me. I have been put on bedrest until my next Doctor's appointment on Tuesday with Dr. Stamm. They said if I get 6 contractions in an hour again to come straight back. The nurse gave me an ambien (which I had never had before) along with the shot of pain and I was good to go. I don't remember much from that point on. Will said I was a sight to see.

I woke up throughout the night with contractions. Some were so strong I would have to wake Will up to help me through them. My wonderful family and friends came by throughout the day to check on me while Will was at work. When Meredith was sitting with me I started having the contractions much closer and stronger together. She texted Will and he came straight home. I made him wait another hour or so before we called the doctor. We were told to head right back to the hospital. Dr. Gower was there and came straight to check on us. My contractions were back every 2-3 minutes but not as strong as the night before. He checked me and was very happy to say there was no change from the night before. We sat and talked for a while about what all was going on. He said that he doesn't like to stop contractions once someone has reached 34 weeks so I didn't get another shot. Annie Knox's heart rate was great and handling the contractions well. He said he thought there was a low chance she would be born this week. I am still on bedrest but hopefully that will change. Dr. Gower said I will probably have contractions until Annie Knox arrives.

Will has been amazing cooking, cleaning, running errands, etc. I guess he got so much practice at the beginning of my pregancy he just picked up where he left off. I know he was just as scared/worried as I was on Thursday and Friday night but he held himself together when I couldn't. I am so blessed with such a wonderful husband!

And to all my friends and family, thank you so much for everything! The prayers, meals, housework, and much much more means so much to us. We love you all so much!

It's now Sunday and I am still having contractions. They aren't anything like they were on Thursday or Friday night so hopefully they will ease up for a few weeks.

And since every post needs a picture: Here is my precious nephew Bo taking it easy...



3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! Everyone keeps laughing at me but this is why I want to go ahead and get my bags packed and car seat installed! I will be praying for you that Annie Knox stays in there for atleast a couple of more weeks and the contractions aren't too bad! Keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, Carmen!!! What a mixed bag of emotions! Excited she may be here soon, nervous it's too early, goodness gracious! I will be praying for you. Hope you're not in too much pain and everything works out perfectly ! Don't forget about us in blog world! Now that you're on bed rest I'm going to be expecting a daily update :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a week you had! Hopefully all will go smoothly from here on out and soon you will hold your perfect baby girl in your arms. Also, we have the same doctors. You're in good hands.

    ReplyDelete